Yesterday's Tornado was a huge success. We had over fifty entrants, including sixteen unrated players.
In the Open section, Russell Velasquez took first, and, additionally, Sidharth Sureshkumar, Sathvik Mukherjee, Jeff Davis, Hari Nadathur, and Hunter Hong all took home prizes.
In the Under-1400 section, we had a tie for first between Evan Powers and Zachary Brearton. Other prizewinners include Thomas Zhu, Aditya Uriti, Radharani Duque, Enrique Franco, Aarya Sivakumar, Aditya Pullabhotla, Pratham Jegga, Max Sun, Wes Stracham, and Michael Wagner. A nine-way tie for third place as well as having thirty-two entries are to thank for the large number of prizewinners in this section.
All in all, $1030 in prizes were given out! You can view the results of the event at http://www.uschess.org/msa/XtblMain.php?202303180312-31092153.
Finally, I'd like to give a special thanks to the following people, without whom this event would not have been possible:
- Stan Jackson for setting up, tearing down, and securing the venue
- Greg Arnold and Duane Larkin for setup and clean up
- Fred Mastin for organizing and publicizing the event
- Alan Hodge for being our Tournament Director
- Bryan Fleischman for helping to set up, as well as providing a lesson on notation for our new players
We hope to see you all in our next Tornado in late June!